Thursday 20 January 2011

Knowledge...lost its value?

Knowledge these days has surely lost its value.

I find when chatting with an older generation...they argue about facts and create wasteful debates that cause arguments. Then I'll shut them up in two minutes with a quick google search on my iPhone.

I was reading in the paper that the internet is effecting our memory. Due to the amount of information, we no longer store things long term and the short term area of the brain is increasing.

Experience surely has to be power? Or the character of someone has to be power?
I've recently graduated and in some student debt, and realised now I can actually have the information to whatever I want if I have the drive to find it. So university is mostly about character building and experience and a piece of paper! However, obviously some courses do give access to special facilities and require qualified staff.


How does a person have value....what life skills do we really need to teach in school?

My point i'm really making behind the scenes, do schools teach anything these days that has any value? Are you just being a parrot, or are you getting taught how to thinking differently, how to make decisions, how to debate, how to handle relationships, how to be creative, how to be motivated...?

I personally would rather have lessons in these that will really benefit me, rather than learn about something that has no relevance. I did enjoy school, but who decides that it should be part of the syllabus to study parts of subjects? With the social culture now, surely gaming or social networking should be studied? Maybe there should be a study what you want class?

I am a keen follower of Sir Ken Robinson, and I would highly recommend his talks on TED about how education kills creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment